Vikram Sarabhai Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has instituted two categories of awards in journalism- Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research. These awards were instituted as part of centenary year celebrations of Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, father of Indian space programme.
About Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research
Objective: To recognize and reward journalists who have actively contributed towards the field of space science, applications, and research.
Eligibility: Its nominations are open to all Indians who have good experience in journalism. Articles published between 2019-2020 will be considered.
Category 1: Under it, two journalists or freelancers of print media will be awarded. It carries cash price of Rs 5,00,000, a medal and citation. Nominated candidates for category 1 will be judged on basis of articles/success stories published in English, Hindi or even Regional languages in popular Periodicals, Science magazines, or Journals in India during year 2019-2020.
Category 2: It carries cash prizes of Rs 3,00,000, 2,00,000 and 1,00,000 and citation each for journalists or freelancers of print media. It will be awarded to articles or success stories published in English, Hindi or Regional languages in popular news magazines or newspapers in India during 1 year (as indicated in proposal).
Tags: father of Indian space programme • Indian Space Research Organisation • ISRO • Vikram Sarabhai • Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science Technology and Research
Legendary classical danseuse Mrinalini Sarabhai passed away in Ahmedabad, Gujarat due to age related health complications. She was 97.
She was trained in Bharatnatyam, Kathakali and Mohiniyattom and was educated at Shantiniketan under the guidance of Rabindranath Tagore.
About Mrinalini Sarabhai
- Mrinalini Sarabhai was born on 11 May 1918 in Kerala. She was daughter of former MP Ammu Swaminathan and founder of the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts in Ahmedabad.
- She was trained in the south Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam under Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai.
- She was also trained in classical dance-drama of Kathakali under the legendary Guru Thakazhi Kunchu Kurup.
- She was one of the first classical dancer to turn to choreography. She has trained over 18,000 students in Bharatnatyam and Kathakali.
- Besides being a classical dancer, she was a writer, poet and environmentalist and had played a leading role in the social and art scene in Ahmedabad.
- Family: She was widow of noted space scientist Dr. Vikram Sarabhai who is considered as the Father of the Indian Space Program. Leading danseuse, actor and activist Mallika Sarabhai is her daughter.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Bhushan Award (1992), Padma Shri (1965) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (1994).
Tags: Classical Dances • Current Affairs - 2017 • Current Affairs 2016 • Mrinalini Sarabhai • Obituary