Volleyball Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) has decided to reintroduce Cricket in the 2022 Asian Games to be held at Hangzhou, China.
Cricket in Asian Games
- Earlier Cricket had featured in 2010 and 2014 Asian Games but was dropped from the 2018 Asian Games.
- In all probabilities mostly T20 version of cricket would be introduced in the Asian Games like it happened during the 2010 and 2014 edition in Guangzhou and Incheon respectively.
- In 2014, Sri Lanka and Pakistan won the men’s and women’s gold and in 2010 Bangladesh and Pakistan claimed the top honours.
- Indian Cricket Teams did not participate in both the editions.
In another major decision, the OCA has agreed to invite Oceania countries including Australia to compete at the 2022 Asian Games. Oceania athletes participation is limited to sports which qualify for the 2024 Olympics through Asia, including volleyball, beach volleyball, basketball, soccer and fencing.
Asian Games, also known as Asiad is a multi-sport event held every four years among athletes from all over Asia. Asian Games are organised by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) in association with the host nation. Asian Games are recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and are described as the second largest multi-sport event after the Olympic Games. The first Asian Games were held at New Delhi, India in 1951.
Tags: Asian Games • Asian Games 2022 • Australia • Bangladesh • Basketball • beach volleyball • China • Cricket • Fencing • Hangzhou • India • International Olympic Committee • IOC • New Delhi • OCA • Olympic Council of Asia • Pakistan • Soccer • Sri Lanka • Volleyball
TPP Nair, Romeo James and SP Misra have been recommended for prestigious Dhyan Chand award 2015.
Their names were shortlisted out of 60 applicants by the award selection committee headed by former Indian hockey captain Zafar Iqbal.
TPP Nair is former volleyball captain of Indian team. SP Misra is former Davis Cup captain and is the incumbent chairman of the All India Tennis Association selection committee (AITASC). Romeo James is current goalkeeper of Indian Hockey team.
About Dhyan Chand Award
- Dhyan Chand Award is India’s highest award for lifetime achievement in sports and games. It is given by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Instituted: 2002 and named after legendary Indian hockey player Dhyan Chand.
- Award carries: A plaque, scroll of honour and monetary award of 5 lakh rupees.