Voluntary Code of Ethics Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Social media platforms and the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) presented a ‘Voluntary Code of Ethics for the General Election 2019 to the Election Commission of India.
Voluntary Code of Ethics
- The code aims to identify measures that the platforms can take to increase confidence in the electoral process to safeguard against misuse that vitiates the free and fair character.
- The platforms will deploy appropriate policies and processes to facilitate access to information on electoral matters where appropriate and keeping in mind the principle of freedom of expression.
- The platforms have voluntarily undertaken to establish a high-priority communication channel with the nodal officers designated by the ECI.
- The Election commission together with platforms has developed a notification mechanism by which the electoral body can notify them of potential violations under Section 126 of the Representation of the People Act and on other matters.
- As per the code, the platforms will acknowledge these notifications within three hours of receipt and will act upon expeditiously based on the nature of the reported violation.
- The platforms will deploy a high-priority dedicated reporting mechanism for the EC and appoint dedicated persons for the purpose.
- Platforms will ensure that political advertisements by parties or their candidates are pre-certified.
Participants including BIGO, ByteDance, Facebook, Google, Sharechat and Twitter have agreed to take action on the content reported by the nodal officer, expeditiously, in accordance with the law.
Tags: Election Commission of India • General Election 2019 • Representation of the People Act • Social Media • Voluntary Code of Ethics