VP Singh Badnore Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
VP Singh Badnore (69) has sworn in as the new Governor Punjab and also as Administrator of Chandigarh.
He was administered the oath of office by Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice SJ Vazifdar at oath taking ceremony held in Punjab Raj Bhawan Chandigarh.
He succeeds Kaptan Singh Solanki, who is the Governor of Haryana and was holding additional charge of Punjab Governor and Administrator of Chandigarh since January 2015.
About VP Singh Badnore
- VP Singh Badnore belongs to Bhilwara in Rajasthan. He is as an agriculturist, environmentalist, social worker, and sportsman.
- He was a four-time BJP legislator (MLA) in the Rajasthan State legislative Assembly.
- He was a member of the 13th and 14th Lok Sabha from 1999 to 2004 and 2004 to 2009 respectively. In July 2010, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha.
- He had served as the chairman of the special task force to rehabilitate tigers in Sariska (Rajasthan) from 2005-09.
- He was also a member of the empowered committee of forests and wildlife management in Rajasthan.
President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former Union Minister Najma Heptulla (76) as Governor of Manipur.
She had served as Union Minority Affairs Minister in the Union Cabinet of NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. But she had resigned in July 2016.
Besides President also appointed
- Banwarilal Purohit as Governor of Assam. He is a three-time former member of Lok Sabha from Nagpur and Managing Editor of Central India’s daily ‘The Hitavada’,
- VP Singh Badnore as Governor of Punjab. He hails from Rajasthan and is associated with Mayo College, Ajmer.
- Jagdish Mukhi as Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. He is Delhi-based BJP leader and former MLA from Delhi.
There appointments will take effect from the dates the incumbents assume their charge.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
- Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state. But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.
- Article 156: Governor is appointed by President and hold office during the pleasure of President. It should be also noted that this article also mentions tenure of Governor. In this regard it says that Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from date he enters upon his office.