Vyas Samman award Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Renowned Hindi Scholar, litterateur and playwright Surendra Verma (75) was selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman 2016.
He was chosen for this award for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se, published in 2010.
About Surendra Verma
- Born on September 7, 1941 in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh
- He had started his career as a teacher and later writing stories.
- His first play was Surya ki antim kiran sesurya kipahli kiran tak (From the Sun’s Last Ray to the Sun’s First Ray`). It has been translated in six different languages
- So far he has published fifteen titles of short stories, novels, satires and play. Some of them Mujhe Chand Chahiyae, Surya Ki Antim Kiran Se Surya Ki Pahli Kiran Tak, Athwan Sarg and Qaid-e-Hayat etc.
- Awards and Honours: He has won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1993) and Sahitya Akademi Award (1996).
About Vyas Samman award
The Vyas Samman award award was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991. It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored and published in past 10 years by an Indian citizen. The award carries monetary award of 2.5 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.
Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was conferred with the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015. She was presented with the award by West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi.
She was bestowed with this prestigious literary award for her poetry collection Kshama (published in 2008). Through her poetry collection, she portrays the fine emotions between poet Tulsidas and his wife Ratnavalli. Using very fine language in the poetry, she has managed to aptly convey the sentiment of forgiveness between Tulsidas and his wife.
About Sunita Jain
- She is scholar, novelist, short-story writer and poet of English and Hindi literature. She had started her writing career at the age of 22.
- So far she has over 100 books to her credit apart from short-stories, novels and poems in Hindi and English. She also has translated many Jain writings into English.
- She had worked as the professor and the Head of the department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi.
- Awards and Honours: The Vreeland Award (1969) and Marie Sandoz Prairie Schooner Fiction Award (1970 and 1971) and Padma Shri (2004).
About Vyas Samman award
- The Vyas Samman award award was instituted by the K.K. Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored and published in past 10 years by an Indian citizen
- The award carries monetary award of 2.5 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.