W20 Current Affairs
Group of Twenty (G-20), a forum of world’s 20 largest economies, including India launched Women-20 (W20), an engagement grouping of women leaders in order to push for gender inclusive global economic growth.
It was launched in the on-going G-20 Summit of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in Ankara under the Turkish Presidency.
The W20 group would 20 women leaders from G20 nations. It will work as an outreach group to promote gender inclusiveness in economic growth process by empowering women.
It would host its first summit in October 2015 in Istanbul after all member countries appoint their respective nominees. Gulden Turktan from Turkey has been appointed as the first President W20 forum.
About Group of Twenty (G20)
- G20 is the premier forum for global economic and financial cooperation.
- Established: in 1999 as a meeting of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors on member countries in the aftermath of the 1997 Asian financial crisis.
- It brings together 20 nations that represent world’s major advanced and emerging economies, representing around 85 per cent of global GDP.
- Presidency of the G20: It rotates annually among its members.
- Members: Brazil, China, Russia, India, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, Canada, France, Indonesia, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, South Korea, United Kingdom (UK), United States (US) and European Union (EU).