Wasps Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Researchers from India have discovered 5 new long-haired species of wasps from different parts of the country.
They were discovered by researchers from National Bureau of Agricultural Insect Resources.
- These species have been named ‘adikeshavus‘ which in Sanskrit means ‘first one to have long hairs’.
- The tribe of these new five wasp species have been characterized by its exclusive preference for spider eggs i.e. parasitising on these relatively medium-sized eggs.
- They have tiny wings which allow them to slip through the silk strands of the egg sacs. These sacs which are deposited in leaf litter by the spiders.
- These 5 wasp species have a uniform length of 1 to 2mm and cluster into groups.
- Their discovery would help researchers to yield large number of species of parasitoids attacking spider eggs in India.