Water Cooperation Current Affairs
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the signing Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and European Union in the field of water resources.
The MoU envisages strengthening technological, scientific and management capabilities of India and EU in field of water management on basis of reciprocity, equality and mutual benefit.
- The MoU aims to identify key environmental issues and approaches to sustainable development in the field of water management between EU and India.
- Under it, exchange of experiences and cooperation will take place between India and EU to strengthen and further develop cooperation in the field of water management.
- It provides technical exchange on water issues including on integrated water resource management plans within river basins and through study visits.
- It envisions sustainable management of water resources in India for tackling challenges posed by water management in the context of a changing climate, growing population, and competing water demands.
- Under the MoU, a Joint Working Group will be formed to monitor the activities to be carried out for its fulfillment.
- The Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has been envisaging bilateral cooperation with other countries in the field of water management and resources development.
- India has decided to benefit from experience and expertise from EU keeping in view of their success in distribution of water resources, water pricing and water use efficiency
- The EU member states have adopted water pricing policies to provide adequate incentives for users to use water resources efficiently thereby contributing to environmental objectives.