West Bengal Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Veteran CPI(M) leader and former Speaker of the West Bengal Assembly Hasim Abdul Halin passed away in Kolkata. He was 80.
Halin was the Speaker of the State Assembly for a record time of 29 years from 1982 to 2011 during the Left Front rule in the state. Thus, he was the longest-serving Speaker of any Legislative Assembly in the country.
About Hashim Abdul Halim
- Born: He was born on 5 June 1935.
- Political Career: He was adherent member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- He was elected for the first time to state assembly as an MLA in 1977 when the CPI(M)-led Left Front came to power.
- In the first term of the Left Front government (from 1977 and 1982) led by Jyoti Basu, he had served as the Minister of Judicial Affairs.
- He was elected as Speaker for first time in 1982. Since then he remained as one during the rest of Left Front’s tenure i.e. in all its six terms till 2011.
Bengali film, television and stage actor Pijush Ganguly passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. He was 50.
Ganguly died because of multiple organ failure after he was critically injured in a road accident on 20 October 2015 at Santragachi in Howrah district.
About Pijush Ganguly
- Ganguly was born on 2 January 1965 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- He had started his career as an employee of NABARD and later shifted to acting career.
- His acting career began as a stage actor and later worked in television and films. He had started his television career with TV series Abar Jakher Dhan.
- He had acted in acclaimed films like Goynar Baksha, Byomkesh Phire Elo,Laptop, Iti Srikanta and Mahulbanir Sereng.
- Awards: Pramathesh Barua Award (1991), Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Actor (2005), Government of West Bengal (Information and Cultural Affairs) Tele Academy Award (2014) etc.