West Bengal [WBPSC] Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The last captive white tiger named Bajirao died recently at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, in Borivali (Mumbai suburb). He was 18 years and died due to old age related issues. He was born at national park in 2001.
Reason: He suffered from chronic ankyloses (fusion of bones leads to abnormal stiffening and immobility of joint) on left shoulder and chronic senile generalised arthritis from past four years. Bajirao was born at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in 2001.
About White tigers
- They are not a separate sub-species of tiger. They are basically a pigmentation variant of the Bengal Tiger. Their white colour is due to lack of red or yellow pheomelanin pigment, and presence of unique recessive genes. They are also called Bleached Tiger.
- Characteristics: They have white to almost cream colored fur, pink nose, black/grey/chocolate colored stripes and blue (looks like green or amber).
- Distribution in India: They were found in Madhya Pradesh, Assam, West Bengal, Bihar and in Sunderbans region. Now there are no white tigers in wild as their entire population in world lives in captivity. The last white tiger reported in wild was captured in Rewa forest in Madhya Pradesh.
Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- It is a protected area in Borivali suburb in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It was earlier known as Borivali National Park.
- It encloses two lakes namely Vihar Lake and Tulsi Lake and has a protected archaeological site, called ‘Kanheri Caves’ in its centre.
Tags: Assam • Bajirao • Bengal Tiger' • Bihar [BPSC] • Bleached Tiger
The schemes of the West Bengal government ‘Utkarsh Bangla’ (skill training of youth) and ‘Sabooj Sathi’ (cycles for students) won the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) awards of UN.
Utkarsh Bangla got the topmost award and emerged as a winner in the Capacity Building category and the Sabooj Sathi was ranked in the first five as a champion project under ICT application: E-Government category.
Utkarsh Bangla Scheme is aimed at providing vocational training to school dropouts. The beneficiaries of the scheme will be trained in driving, tailoring, repairing television and other electronic equipment’s, beautician courses etc.
Sabooj Sathi is a scheme of West Bengal government for distribution of bicycles to the students of class IX to XII studying in Govt. run and Govt. aided Schools and Madrashas.The scheme was launched in September 2015.
World Summit on the Information Society Awards
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Awards were instituted as per requests from the WSIS stakeholders to create an effective mechanism to evaluate and recognize individuals, governments, civil society, local, regional and international agencies, research institutions and private-sector companies for outstanding success in implementing development oriented strategies that leverage the power of ICTs as an enabler of the development.
WSIS is a global multi-stakeholder platform facilitating the implementation of the WSIS Action Lines for advancing sustainable development. The summit is co-organized by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD, in close collaboration with other UN organizations.
The Summit provides an opportunity for information exchange, knowledge creation and sharing of best practices, while identifying emerging trends and fostering partnerships, taking into account the evolving Information and Knowledge Societies.
Tags: ITU • Sabooj Sathi • UNCTAD • UNDP • UNESCO