World Book Fair Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 26th edition of annual World Book Fair was held in New Delhi. It was organised by National Book Trust (NBT), under Ministry of Human Resource Development in association with India Trade Promotion Organisation.
The theme for this year is ‘Environment and Climate Change’. It focuses on environment issues like climate change, global warming, and water pollution. European Union was Guest of Honour Country for this year’s book fair.
The annual book fair saw participation of around 800 publishers from across the country in different languages. The event’s Theme Pavillion had international rights exhibition of nearly 500 titles published in English, Hindi, and other Indian languages. Apart from EU nations, more than 40 countries including Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, and United Kingdom also participated.
The fair also witnessed panel discussions, talks, workshops, children’s activities, screening of short films, special photo exhibits as well as cultural and musical performances. The discussions, conversation were mainly organised with authors and environmentalists where experts discussed ways through which environment can be saved from further deterioration.
The annual New Delhi World Book Fair was started in 1972 in New Delhi with only 200 participants. Over the years it has grown exponentially and now has 886 and 800 participants as publishers in 2016 and 2017, respectively. The fair serves as meeting point of readers and publishers. The theme for 2016 was ‘Manushi’ and had focused on writings on and by women from ancient times till the present.
The 44th edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair began at Pragati Maidan in national capital. The theme for this edition of the event is ‘Manushi– Books Written on and by Women’.
It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Human Resources Development (Higher Education) Mahendra Nath Pandey.
- The nine-day event has been organised by National Book Trust (NBT), under the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development. While, India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) is the Co-organizer.
- Based on the theme, the fair will exhibit the rich tradition of women writings from ancient times till the present.
- Posters and panels of some of the eminent women scholars of ancient and medieval India, and women pioneers of modern India be showcased in the presentation.
- Nearly 800 publishers from across the country and abroad are participating in it. About 20 countries including China, France, Germany, Egypt, Japan and Iran are taking part in the Foreign Pavilion.
- Books on different genres like fiction, poetry, social science, and children’s literature are forming the main ingredients of the exhibition.
- The NBT which is celebrating 60 years of its foundation, will showcase its journey in promoting books and reading at a special exhibit called ‘This is no looking back’.
- The exhibit will display the varied activities that have been undertaken NBT in promoting books including organising book fairs.