World Steel Association Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The World Steel Association has released a Report highlighting various trends related to the Industry, they are:
- China is the largest producer of crude steel and it accounts for more than 51 per cent of global production. China’s share has been increased from 50.3 per cent in 2017 to 51.3 per cent in 2018.
- The production in China increased by 6.6 per cent from 870.9 MT in 2017to 928.3 million tonnes (MT) in 2018.
- India has replaced Japan as the world’s second-largest steel producing country.
- The Steel production in India increased by 4.9 per cent from 101.5 MT in 2017 to 106.5 MT in 2018.
- The global crude steel production increased by 4.6 per cent from 1,729.8 MT in 2017 to 1,808.6 MT in 2018.
- Other countries in the Top 10 list of steel producing nations include US at United States, at the 4th position as the country produced 86.7 MT of crude steel in 2018, South Korea (72.5 MT, 5th place), Russia (71.7 MT, 6th), Germany (42.4 MT, 7th), Turkey (37.3 MT, 8th), Brazil (34.7 MT, 9th) and Iran (25 MT, 10th).
- Among other countries, Italy produced 24.5 MT of crude steel in 2018, France (15.4 MT), Spain (14.3 MT), and Ukraine (21.1 MT).
World Steel Association
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is a non-profit organisation with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. Founded as International Iron and Steel Institute on 10 July 1967, it changed its name to the World Steel Association on 6 October 2008.
It represents over 160 steel producers (including 9 of the world’s 10 largest steel companies), national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes and the members cover around 85% of world steel production.
Tags: Brazil • China • France • Germany • India
JSW Steel CMD Sajjan Jindal was elected as treasurer of World Steel Association (WSA). He was appointed for one-year period (2018/2019) by Board of Directors of WSA at Worldsteel General Assembly held in Toyko, Japan. The board also has appointed Tata Steel MD T V Narendran and ArcelorMittal Chief L N Mittal as its members. Andre Johannpeter, Executive VC of Gerdau S A was elected as the Chairman. YU Yong (Chairman HBIS Group) and Kosei Shindo (Representative Director, Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation) were elected as Vice-Chairman.
World Steel Association (WSA)
WSA is a non-profit organisation and is one of the largest industry associations in world. It was founded in July 1967 and is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium. Its members represent approximately 85% of the world’s steel production. It includes over 160 steel producers with 9 of the 10 largest steel companies, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes.