Wrestling Current Affairs - 2020
The medal winners for India at the Dan Kovlov 2019 wrestling event is listed below:
- Bajrang Punia won gold in the Men’s freestyle wrestling 65kg category.
- Pooja Dhanda claimed gold in the Women’s 59kg category.
- Sakshi Malik claimed silver medal in the Women’s 65kg category.
- Sandeep Tomar claimed silver medal in the Men’s 61kg category.
- Vinesh Phogat claimed silver medal in the Women’s 53kg
The Wrestling event was being held at Ruse, Bulgaria.
The Wrestling event is named after wrestling legend Doncho Kolеv Danev better known by the ring name Dan Kolov. Dan Kolov was a Bulgarian wrestler and he was the first European freestyle wrestling champion from Bulgaria.
Dan Kovlov had between 1,500 and 2,000 fights and won almost all of them and he has registered only three losses in official matches.
Tags: Bajrang Punia • Bulgaria • Dan Kovlov • Dan Kovlov 2019 • Doncho Kolеv Danev
The 2018 World Wrestling Championships were fifteenth edition of World Wrestling Championships of combined events and were held from October 20 to 28 in Budapest, Hungary. Here are important facts:
About UWW World Wrestling Championships
- It is amateur wrestling world championship event organised by the United World Wrestling.
- It was started in 1904 with the Men’s Greco-Roman wrestling tournament.
- From 1951, the Men’s freestyle wrestling tournament began.
- From 1987, women’s freestyle championship started.
The top medal winning countries
In the 2018 event, Japan won the most medals with 5 gold, 1 silver and 4 bronze. Russia comes second with 8 medals.
India is at the 17th place with 2 medals – 1 silver and 1 bronze. Bajrang Punia bagged the silver medal. Pooja Dhanda won Bronze medal and became fourth Indian woman to win a medal at the World Wrestling Championship.
About Bajrang Punia
Bajrang Punia from Haryana is India’s freestyle wrestler who won a Bronze medal in 2013 world wrestling championships, bagged silver medal in 2015 commonwealth games, 2014 Asian games, and 2014 Asian wrestling championships. With the 2018 win, he has total four silvers in his kitty. He has also won a gold medal at the Asian Wrestling Championship 2017, 2018 commonwealth games, and 2018 Asian games.
Pooja Dhanda from Haryana won silver medals in the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics and 2018 Commonwealth Games. With 2018 Bronze win, she became the fourth Indian woman grappler to win a medal at the World Championship. Before her, Alka Tomar in 2006, Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat in 2012 had won a bronze medal each at the Worlds Championships.