writer Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Hungarian writer Laszlo Krasznahorkai has won the prestigious Man Booker International Prize for 2015. He was chosen from a list of 10 contenders from around the world.
About Laszlo Krasznahorkai
- Laszlo Krasznahorkai was born in 1954 Gyula, Hungary.
- He had gained recognition in 1985 after he had published his debut novel Satantango, which he adapted for the big screen in 1994.
- Krasznahorkai’s other famous novels are The Melancholy of Resistance (1989), War and War (1999), Seiobo There Below (2008).
- Awards and Honours: In 1993, he was awarded Bestenliste-Prize of Germany for his novel The Melancholy of Resistanc.
- In 2004, he was awarded with most prestigious cultural award in Hungary- The Kossuth Prize.
About Man Booker International Prize
- The prize, worth £60,000, recognizes an authors’s achievement in fiction.
- It is a biennial award, bestowed upon a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is available in translation in the English language.
- The prize is sponsored by Man Group plc, which also sponsors the Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
- Unlike the UK Man Booker Prize for Fiction, publishers cannot submit authors’ works for consideration.
- The Prize is significantly different in that it highlights one writer’s overall contribution to fiction on the world stage.
- The judges, who solely decide the winner, consider a writer’s body of work rather than a single novel.
Writer Neel Mukherjee’s novel The Lives of Others has won the United Kingdom’s Encore Award for the best second novel.
The novel The Lives of Others reflects the political and social convulsions of an entire society and based upon story of one family living in Calcutta in 1960s.
It covers, various issues ranging from the mass hunger of the Second World War to independence and the emergence of the Maoist Naxalbari movement.
Neel Mukherjee’s first novel A Life Apart was published in 2010. It was shortlisted for 2011 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature. It should be noted that, his second novel The Lives of Others was shortlisted for the 2014 Man Booker Prize. Neel Mukherjee was born in Kolkata in 1970.
About £10,000 Encore Award
- It is an annual award bestowed upon writers for their best second novel. It was established in 1990.
- The award is sponsored by Lucy Astor.
- The award fills a niche in the catalogue of literary prizes by celebrating the achievement of outstanding second novels of writers.