Xi Jinping Current Affairs
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was placed at 9th position among 74 of the world’s most powerful people list released by the Forbes Magazine.
The list gives the annual ranking of the World’s Most Powerful People on the basis of their financial resources, scope and use of power and the number of people they impact.
- 2016 edition of the list was topped by Russian President Vladimir Putin. This is for fourth consecutive year Putin has topped the list.
- The first billionaire President of the United States was ranked second in the list. In the 2015 edition of the list he was placed 72. Outgoing US President Barack Obama dropped from 2 to 48.
- German Chancellor and backbone of the European Union Angela Merkel was ranked 3rd. She continues her reign as the most powerful woman on the planet for consecutive 11 years.
- New names in list: Theresa May (#13), Travis Kalanick (#64), Bob Iger (#67), Mike Pence (#69); Rodrigo Duterte (#70), Sheldon Adelson (#72), Antonio Guterres (#36) and Recep Erdogan (#56).
- Other Indian’s in the list: Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani (#38), Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella (#51).
10 most powerful people in the world
|1||Vladimir Putin||President of Russia|
|2||Donald Trump||President of US|
|3||Angela Merkel||Chancellor of Germany|
|4||Xi Jinping||President of China|
|5||Pope Francis||Pope of Roman Catholic Church, Vatican City|
|6||Janet Yellen||Chairperson of US Federal Reserve|
|7||Bill Gates||Chairman of Bill & Melinda Foundation|
|8||Larry Page||Founder of Google|
|9||Narendra Modi||Prime Minister of India|
|10||Mark Zuckerberg||Cofounder of Facebook|
|Indian’s in the list|
|38||Mukesh Ambani||Chairman of Reliance Industries|
|51||Satya Nadella||Microsoft CEO|
About Forbes list of World’s Most Powerful People
The list of World’s Most Powerful People started in 2009 by Forbes magazine. Since then annually published. The list has one slot for person or leader for every 100 million people on Earth. These slots are allocated based on the amount of human and financial resources as well as their influence on world events. It that in 2011 there were 70, and in 2012 there were 71 slots. Similarly in 2016 it has 74 slots.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced a 60 billion dollars package to African nations during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The package will benefit Africa in 10 major areas (sectors) such as industry, infrastructure, agriculture, financial services, trade and investment facilitation, green development, poverty reduction and public welfare, public health, peace and security and people-to-people exchanges.
With this package, China is seeking to expand its investments in resource-rich Africa which can help it to absorb its excess manufacturing capacity. It is also consider as part of its efforts to re-engage with the continent and integrate it within its ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) and Maritime Silk Route connectivity framework.
Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC): It is the summit in which over 50 African countries are participating. It is also expected to unveil the contours of China’s security partnership with Africa. It would mainly focus on counter-terrorism, peacekeeping and funding to train troops within the framework of the African Union (AU).