Yoga Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India has signed a historic Project Collaboration Agreement (PCA) with World Health Organization (WHO) for cooperation on promoting the quality, safety and effectiveness of service provision in traditional and complementary medicine.
The PCA aims at supporting WHO in the development and implementation of the ‘WHO Traditional and Complementary Medicine Strategy.
Key facts of PCA
- PCA for the period 2016-2020 will contribute to the global promotion of traditional Indian Systems of Medicine.
- It will deliver for the first time WHO benchmark document for training in Yoga, and WHO benchmarks for practice in Ayurveda, Unani and Panchakarma.
- These will contribute significantly to the strengthening of national capacities in ensuring the quality, safety and effectiveness of traditional medicine including in establishing regulatory frameworks for traditional medicine.
The PCA with WHO will help India to promote traditional medicine both in India and abroad. It will also spread importance of India’s long history and rich heritage of traditional medicine and its growing relevance in providing holistic and comprehensive health care.
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has decided to recognize Yoga as a sports discipline and place it in the Priority category.
This decision was taken by Ministry while reviewing and revising the categorization of various Sports disciplines.
- The sport of Fencing was upgraded from Others to General category based on the major past performance at international events.
- University Sports have been placed in the Priority category.
- The scale of financial assistance admissible to each category was conveyed to IOC and all recognized National Sports Federations on 23rd March, 2015.
- General category of sports disciplines shall be retained. This category will have sports disciplines which have been included in mega events like Olympics/Asian Games/Common Wealth Games (CWG) etc.
- General category sports will also include sports hich have obtained a ranking upto 8th in individual events and upto 10th in team events in Olympics/CWG/Asian Games.