Yudh Abhyas 2016 Current Affairs
India and United States (US) Joint Military Training Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2016 concluded at the Chaubattia Military Station in Ranikhet, Uttarakhand.
The bilateral military exercise was the twelfth edition in the YudhAbhyas series which started in the year 2004 under US Army Pacific Partnership Program. This was the third time the exercise is being conducted at Chaubattia in Uttarakhand.
- The YudhAbhyas 2016 aimed at strengthening and broadening the inter-operability and cooperation between the Indian and US armies.
- It had witnessed Field Training Exercises of Brigade Headquarter based Command Post Exercise and also discussions on issues of mutual interest by experts of both countries.
- It provided an ideal platform for the personnel of the two countries to share their experiences on counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations, especially in the mountainous terrain.
- Exercise curriculum was planned progressively in which participants were initially made to get familiar with each other’s organizational structure, equipment, weapons, and tactical drills.
- Both the armies in joint drills of the training had coherently practiced advanced to joint tactical exercises.
- The Joint Drills included Room Intervention, Cordon and Search in Counter Terrorist Operations, Reflex Shooting, Jungle Lane Shooting, Long Range Firing and Cliff Assault Techniques.
- The bilateral training culminated after final validation exercise in which all the learning mutually imparted by both armies was put to test on ground.
- Troops were inducted by helicopters into a notional hostile area to neutralize terrorists, as part of the exercise.
The joint military training exercise between India and United States dubbed as “Yudh Abhyas 2016” has begun in Chaubattia in Uttarakhand.
It is the 12th edition of the joint military exercise hosted alternately by the two countries. The two week (from September 14 to 27) exercise will witness participation of about 225 personnel of Congo Brigade of the Indian Army and similar strength of the US Army.
- Yudh Abhyas 2016 is one of the longest running joint military training and a major ongoing bilateral defence cooperation endeavours between India and the US
- The purpose of the exercise is to stimulate a scenario where both nations were working together to counter insurgency and counter terrorism (CICT) in mountainous terrain under UN charter.
- The curriculum of exercise has been progressively planned where the participants are initially made to get familiar with each other’s organisational structure, equipment, weapons and tactical drills.
- Subsequently, the training advances to joint tactical exercises of both the armies will be coherently unleashed especially in the battle drills.
- The training will culminate with a final validation exercise in which troops of both countries will jointly carry out an operation against terrorists in a fictitious but realistic setting.