Zurich Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Economist Intelligence Unit has released the report of the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2019.
Findings of the Survey
- For the first time in its 30-year history, three cities have been accorded the title of the world’s most expensive city in the Worldwide Cost of Living Survey from The Economist Intelligence Unit.
- Singapore which top’s of the rankings for the sixth consecutive year is joined there by Hong Kong and Paris.
- Zurich in Switzerland stood at the fourth position followed by Japan’s Osaka which shared fifth place with Geneva, also in Switzerland.
- Seoul (South Korea), Copenhagen (Denmark) and New York (US) were jointly placed at the seventh spot.
- Los Angeles (US) along with Israel’s Tel Aviv was named the 10th most expensive city in the world.
- The cost of living in Chinese cities remains relatively stable, while Southeast Asian destinations were moving up the ranks.
- Weaker local currencies have pushed all five Australian and two New Zealand cities surveyed down in the ranking.
- While parts of Asia remain the most expensive places on Earth, Asian Cities also makes several appearances at the bottom of the list.
- World’s cheapest cities include Caracas (Venezuela), Damascus (Syria), Tashkent (Uzbekistan), Almaty (Kazakhstan), Karachi (Pakistan), Lagos (Nigeria), Buenos Aires (Argentina) as well as the three Indian cities of Bengaluru, Chennai and Delhi.
The Survey compares more than 400 individual prices across 160 products and services in cities around the world by keeping New York as the benchmark city.
Tags: Almaty • Argentina • Australia • Bengaluru • Buenos Aires
The Quality of Living Index 2019 was released by the Consulting Agency Mercer. The index was based on the data analysed between September and November 2018. The index ranks 231 cities.
Quality of Living Index 2019
- Austrian capital Vienna tops the Mercer’s index of most liveable cities for the 10th year in a row.
- Vienna was closely followed by Zurich in Switzerland. Auckland, Munich, and Vancouver came in joint third.
- San Francisco with the ranking of 34 was named the best city to live in in the U.S.
- London with a ranking of 41st was the best city in the UK on Mercer’s scale.
- Singapore with a ranking of 25th has held onto its status as Asia’s most livable city.
- Uruguay’s capital Montevideo was the highest ranked city in South America.
- Port Louis, Mauritius, was Africa’s top city.
- Baghdad ranked last, followed by Bangui in the Central African Republic and Yemen’s capital Sanaa.
Indian Cities in the List
- Hyderabad and Pune topped the list among the Indian cities with a rank of 143.
- Bengaluru was the second best with the ranking of 149.
- Mumbai with the ranking of 154 stood third among Indian cities.
- The capital of India, New Delhi ranked at 162 in Mercer’s Quality Of Living Index.
The index is based on 39 factors such as access to public transport and traffic congestion levels, availability of housing and international schools city’s cultural scene which are grouped under 10 heads like “political and social environment”, “recreation”.