Taj Mahal becomes first monument in world to have Twitter account
The iconic Mughal monument Taj Mahal became the first historical monuments in the world to have a Twitter account of its own.
The monument’s official Twitter handle @TajMahal was launched by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on eve of 69th Independence Day in Lucknow.
About Taj Mahal
- Taj Mahal is a 17th century white marble mausoleum located on the southern bank of Yamuna River in the present city of Agra.
- Then Mughal emperor Shah Jahan (reigned 1628–1658) had commissioned the monument in 1632 to house the tomb of his wife Mumtaz Mahal.
- It is based on Mughal architectural style and was constructed under guidance of chief architect Ustad Ahmad Lahauri.
- In 1983, UNESCO had accorded World Heritage Site status on it. It is one of the world’s most celebrated structures and a symbol of India’s rich history.
- Presently it plays important role in India’s tourism industry and attracts around 3 million visitors every year.
Categories: Places in News