Tata Steel commissions first phase of Kalinganagar plant in Odisha
Tata Steel has commissioned the first phase of its integrated steel plant at Kalinganagar steel plant in Jajpur district of Odisha.
It was inaugurated by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik as part of his Government ambition of industrialising the state rapidly.
- Kalinga Nagar steel plant is the second biggest plant of the company and is the largest Greenfield steel project in the country.
- The plant is spread across 2200 acre land and has been established at an investment of Rs 25,000 crore.
- It has a production capacity of 6 million tonne per annum and generally would produce flat, lighter, high-tensile strength steel.
- The plant also boasts of India’s largest blast furnace at 4,330 cubic meters. On completion it would provide employment for 45,000 people.
- The plant also has most advanced carbon hearth technology in the country along with on-site power generation of 202 MW through waste gases discharged by coke oven and blast furnace.
- Eariler in 2004, Tata Steel had inked a MoU with the Odisha government to set up this steel plant.