Tennis: Australian Open begins in Melbourne
The Australian Open Tennis tournament, the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, inaugurated at Melbourne, Australia. It will be held at Melbourne Park from January 13-26, 2014.
- India’s Somdev Devvarman is the only Indian in the Singles title and the Doubles section is featuring Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, Rohan Bopanna, Divij Sharan, Yuki Bhambri and Sania Mirza with their respective team-mates.
About Australia Open 2014
- Founded in 1905.
- Held annually in January at Melbourne, Australia.
- Events: Men’s and women’s singles; men’s, women’s, and mixed doubles and junior’s championships; as well as wheelchair, legends and exhibition events.
- It is the 102nd edition of the Australian Open, played on outdoor hard courts.
Surfaces played on:
- Surface Grass (1905–87)
- Rebound Ace (1988–2007)
- Plexicushion (2008–present)
Organized by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and is part of the 2014 ATP World Tour and the 2014 WTA Tour calendars under the Grand Slam category.