For first time all-women contingent marches on 66th Republic Day parade
For the first time in the history of India’s Republic Day, all-women contingent from the three forces Army, Air Force and Navy marched down in the parade.
- Army contingent was led by Capt Divya Ajith.
- Navy contingent was led by Lieutenant Commander Priya Jeyakumar.
- Air Force contingent was led by Squadron Leader Sneha Shekhawat.
Each contingent had 148 women personnel. In previous Republic Day parades, women officers were just participating.
- Capt Divya Ajith who had led Army contingent is a graduate from the prestigious Officers Training Academy (OTA) in Chennai.
- Earlier, in 2010 she had created history by becoming the first woman in the army to receive the coveted Sword of Honour (which is awarded to the best cadet of a course).
- Currently, Indian army does not have women in combat roles.
Categories: Defence Current Affairs 2018