For the first time scientists predict brain activity patterns
For the first time, researchers have decoded and predicted the brain activity patterns of word meanings within sentences.
The brain activity patterns were predicted using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure human brain activation.
With this, researcher can now predict 70% brain activity patterns. This study may help treat persons with brain injury and stroke patients to communicate better. It also makes key advances towards understanding how information is represented throughout the brain.
What is functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)?
- fMRI is a functional neuroimaging procedure using MRI technology. It measures brain activity by detecting changes associated with blood flow.
- This technique relies on the fact that neuronal activation and cerebral blood flow are coupled together.
- When an area of the brain is in use, blood flow to that region also increases. The primary form of fMRI uses blood-oxygen-level dependent (BOLD) contrast.
- This is a type of specialized brain and body scan used to map neural activity in the brain or spinal cord of humans or other animals.
- It is mapped by imaging the change in hemodynamic response (blood flow) related to energy use by brain cells.
Categories: Science and Technology Current Affairs - 2017