Tourism Sector in India
Union Minister for Tourism K J Alphons delivering the inaugural speech at the 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit highlighted the contribution of the of the tourism sector to the GDP as below:
- India’s tourism sector generated USD 234 billion revenue in 2018 and the sector registered a growth of over 19 per cent.
- India was ranked third in the tourism sector, according to the 2018 report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC).
- The global revenue growth from tourism sector was five per cent and Indian tourism sector grew by 19.4 per cent.
- 87 per cent of revenue was contributed by domestic tourists and 13 per cent foreign tourists.
- The earnings from foreign tourists were about USD 27 billion.
- The revenue from the foreign tourists grew by about 14 per cent in India compared to global growth of 7 per cent.
- Spiritual tourism contributed around 60-70 per cent of the total domestic tourists.
ASEAN-India Youth Summit
The ASEAN-India Youth Summit aims to provide a platform for youth leaders of both India and ASEAN to engage with each other to develop a resilient and symbiotic relationship between countries.
The ASEAN-India Youth Summit is organised by India Foundation, in collaboration with ASEAN Secretariat and Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India (MEA).
The first India-ASEAN Youth Summit was held in 2017 and the theme was Shared Values, Common Destiny. The second India-ASEAN Youth Summit was held in Guwahati with the theme Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity.