UN supports French military intervention in Mali
The United Nations has backed France for providing military aid to Mali to push back Islamists which are advancing their control to other parts of the country including northern and western regions.
What is happening in Mali?
- Mali gained independence in 1960 as Mali Federation. Soon Senegal withdrew from federation, Mali became Republic of Mali.
- One party rule till 1991 coup which led to the writing of a new constitution and the establishment of Mali as a democratic, multi-party state.
- In March 2012, conflict in northern region was carried out by a group of junior soldiers who seized control of the presidential palace and declared the government dissolved and its constitution suspended.
- Islamist group linked with Al-Qaeada gained the centre stage in the conflict.
- Efforts are on to regain control of northern region of the country which is under Islamist control.
- The UN Security Council had given approval for an African-led intervention force, which UN officials said could not be launched until September.