Union Cabinet approved amendments to Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposals submitted by the Department of Personnel & Training for moving official amendments to the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011.
The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011 was referred to a Select Committee of the Rajya Sabha for examination and report.
Key Recommendations of the Select Committee:
- Amendments to Clause 3(4), 4(1 )(e), 14(1)(g), 14(1)(h), 20(1), 20(2), 20(3), 20(5), 20(6), 20(7), 20(8), 23, 25, 37, 46, 63-97 and Part-II of the Schedule.
- Consequential amendments in other provisions of the Bill as may be necessary.
- Eliminate Part-III of the Bill which deals with setting up of the Lokayukta in the States.
- Replacement of Part-Ill of the Bill with a new Section 63 which provides for setting up of the institution of Lokayukta through enactment of a law by the State Legislature within a period of 365 days from the date of commencement of the Act. This suggestion has been accepted by the government.
- Government has also accepted a number of recommendations in the Bill with a view to strengthening the CBI