Union Cabinet approves 33% reservation for women in police forces of UTs, Delhi
Union Cabinet on 20 March 2015 approved 33 percent reservation for women in police forces of all seven Union Territories (UTs) including Delhi Police.
This decision was taken at the Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
The reservation in this regard will be
- Applicable in each category of SC, ST, OBC and others in direct recruitment in non-gazetted posts from constables to sub-inspector.
- Available to women against all prior vacancies that existed on the date of issue of this order after Cabinet approval and vacancies arising henceforth.
Union Government has taken this decision to augment the representation of the women in the police forces in order to make police more gender sensitive.
This decision will also instill confidence among women to enable them to approach the police without hesitation for seeking protection and assistance as and when required.
- At present Chandigarh has 6.18 per cent women police force highest among all 7 UTs. While, Puducherry with 5.89 per cent has lowest representation.
- Delhi has 7.61 per cent and Lakshwadeep has 10.52 per cent women among its police force.
- The average women representation in police forces across pan India is only 5.33 per cent i.e. 84,479 police women. The actual needed total strength is of 15.85 lakh women police force in the country.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018