Union Cabinet approves Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
The Union Cabinet has approved the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) to provide skills training to youth across the country.
Decision in this regard was taken in the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
About Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- The PMKVY Scheme will be implemented by the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship through the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- It will provide skills training to youth, including class 10 and 12 drop outs and aims to cover about 24 lakh people.
- The target for skilling under the scheme will be associated with Union Government’s flagship programmes such as Make in India, Digital India, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and National Solar Mission.
- The skill training will involve soft skills, good work ethics, personal grooming, behavioural change for cleanliness etc.
- Inspection of training under PMKVY will be done by Sector Skill Councils and the repective State Governments.
- The skill training will be undertaken on the basis of demand assessed on the basis of skill gap studies conducted by the NSDC for the period 2013-17.
- Fund Allocation- The scheme will be implemented with an outlay of 1, 500 crore rupees.
- Of the total 1,500 crore rupees, about 1,120 crore rupees will be spent on skill training of 14 lakh youth.
- 150 crore rupees allocated for training of youth from the North-East region.
Categories: Government Schemes in India