Union Cabinet gives nod to implementation of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the implementation of the rural housing scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana- Gramin.
Under the scheme, financial assistance will be provided for construction of pucca houses to all houseless and households living in dilapidated houses.
- The expenditure involved in implementing the project is Rs.81975 crore in a span of 3 years from 2016-17 to 2018-19.
- Under the scheme, it is proposed to provide assistance to one crore households for construction of pucca house.
- It will be implemented in rural areas throughout the country except in Delhi and Chandigarh.
- The beneficiaries will be identified using Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC)-2011 data ensuring total transparency and objectivity.
- The cost of houses would be shared between Centre and States Governments in the ratio 60:40 in plain areas and 90:10 for North Eastern and hilly states.
- Under this scheme, annual list of beneficiaries will be identified from the total list through participatory process by the Gram Sabha.
- Funds will be transferred electronically directly to the account of the beneficiary. He will be able to track the progress of his payments through the app.
- Inspection will be done though a mobile app. Locally appropriate house designs, will be mainly practised to address the natural calamities.
- The beneficiary is entitled to 90 days of unskilled labour from MGNREGA. This will be ensured through a server linkage between PMAY and MGNREGA.
- The additional requirement of building materials, bricks using cement stabilised earth or fly ash will be taken up under MGNREGA.
- National Technical Support Agency will be established to provide technical support to the Centre and States to ensure their quality of construction of the houses.
During the President’s address in the Joint Session of Parliament in May 2014, it was announced that every family will have a pucca house with water connection, 24×7 electricity supply, toilet facilities by the time the nation completes 75 years of its Independence (by 2022).
Categories: Government Schemes in India