Union Cabinet gives nod to MoU on technical cooperation between India, Bhutan
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bhutan on Technical Cooperation in the field of benchmarking, capacity building and bilateral exchange in Infrastructure Engineering.
Decision in this regard was taken by the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The MoU aims at taking forward India-Bhutan friendship treaty and provide an umbrella for scientific, educational and technical research and environment protection.
- It will also help Central Public Works Department (CPWD), a construction major under the Urban Development Ministry, to gain experience in construction of roads on hills.
- India and Bhutan have a long standing diplomatic, economic and cultural relation with each other.
- The India-Bhutan friendship treaty signed in New Delhi in February 2007 to further strengthen the mutual relations between two neighbouring countries.
- There are also ongoing Hydro Power Cooperation projects between the two countries which provide an exemplary template for mutual cooperation.