Union Civil Aviation Ministry gives nod for four Greenfield Airports
The Union Civil Aviation Ministry has given clearance for four greenfield airports in two states.
Of the total four approved greenfield airports, three will be in Andhra Pradesh and one at international airport at Dholera in Gujarat.
- In Andhra Pradesh greenfield airport will be developed at Nellore and Kurnool districts of under a public-private partnership.
- These two of the three airports proposed at Andhra Pradesh are likely to be no-frills one.
- Ministry also has given site clearance for the Bhogapuram airport in Andhra Pradesh which is about 40 km from Visakhapatnam (Vizag).
- The international airport at Dholera in Ahmedabad is expected to reduce the air traffic load at the existing Ahmedabad airport.
- Earlier Union Environment Ministry had given the environmental clearance to 1,378 crore rupees Dholera airport project.
Greenfield Airport: It is a new airport which is constructed on an undeveloped site. It is built from scratch on a new location because the existing airport is unable to meet the traffic requirements.
Brownfield projects: These projects are usually undertaken to modify or upgraded from existing facilities.