Union Government appoints VK Malhotra as President of All India Council of Sports
Union Government has appointed veteran sports administrator Vijay Kumar Malhotra as President of newly established All India Council of Sports (AICS).
With this he became first President of AICS and was given an equivalent rank of a Minister of State (MoS) in the Union Council of Ministers.
About Vijay Kumar Malhotra
- VK Malhotra was born on 3 December 1931 in Lahore (now in Pakistan) in then undivided British India. He holds a Doctorate in Hindi Literature.
- Prior to this appointment, Mr Malhotra was President of Archery Association of India and had served for 40 years.
- He also had acted as the Senior Vice President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and served as acting President of the IOA after the 2010 Commonwealth Games scandal.
AICS also includes former sportspersons including PT Usha, Baichung Bhutia, N Kunjarani Devi, Limba Ram, IM Vijayan, and P Gopichand as its members.
About All India Council of Sports
- AICS is as an advisory body established in July 2015 to deliberate on matters relating to the development and promotion of sports and games in the country.
- Composition: It will be headed by a President in the rank of Minister of State (MoS). It will include 4 Members of Parliament (MPs), coaches, experts, sports personalities, administrators and Director General (DG) of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
Categories: Sports & Games