Union Government approves Transit Oriented Development policy for Delhi
Union Government has approved the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Policy for Delhi.
TOD aims to address issues of pollution, congestion and shortage of housing for the poor and middle class. Thus it is a key policy initiative for low-carbon, high-density and compact living spaces.
- Under the TOD policy, the floor area ratio for constructions around mass rapid transit systems (MRTs) like the Metro has been doubled.
- It will help to address the issues of traffic congestion and shortage of housing in Delhi and allow more vertical constructions.
- The higher floor area ratio of 400 per cent will allow more floors in a building which in turn will address the issue of shortage of land availability.
- Thus it paves the way for mixed land use and sustainable inhabitation with minimised travel time for citizens and easy availability of public transport.
- However, TOD policy will not be applicable in Civil Lines Bungalows Area, Lutyens Bungalow Zone, Monument regulated zone and Low Density Residential Area.