Union Government bans sharing of Aadhaar details
The Union Government has banned agencies in possession of Aadhaar number to publish or post the information publicly to ensure that the details are not misused.
In this regard, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has issued notification under the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services) Act, 2016.
- These agencies will have to ensure security and confidentiality of the 12-digit resident identification number under the Aadhaar Act, 2016.
- The biometric information collected by UIDAI cannot be shared with anyone for any reason whatsoever.
- These agencies will also have been mandated to inform Aadhaar holders the purpose for which their details will be used.
- Any violation of the Aadhaar Act will constitute an offence and is punishable under the Act.
- Under the Act, penalty has been prescribed for offences such as impersonation of the Aadhaar holder at time of enrolment, tampering with data and disclosing identity information.