Union Government extends term of Rajan S Katoch as Director of ED for 3rd time
Union Government has extended term of senior IAS officer Rajan S Katoch as the Director of the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
In this regard, Apppointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) presided by Prime Minister Narendra Modi issued an order. Thus, Mr. Katoch will have three months additional tenure till October 31, 2015.
Mr. Katoch is an IAS officer of 1979-batch of Madhya Pradesh cadre. He was appointed to top most post of Enforcement Directorate (ED) in March 2012 for three year term which was to end in January 2015.
However, his tenure was extended by 3 months for two times, earlier in January 2015 (till April 30, 2015) and later in April 2015 which was extended to July, 2015. Prior to appointment as Director of ED he had served in the Union Ministry of Commerce, besides serving number of posts in his parent cadre.
About Enforcement Directorate
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is a law enforcement agency and economic intelligence agency responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic crime in India.
- It is part of and operates under the aegis of Department of Revenue of Union Ministry of Finance.
- Established: 1st June, 2000.
- It comprises officers of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Revenue Service (IRS) and Indian Police Service (IPS).
- ED enforces civil law of Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA) and criminal law of Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 in order to deal with black money and hawala trade cases.
Categories: Persons in News