Union Government to form Bank Board Bureau
Union Government has decided to set up a Bank Board Bureau (BBB) to monitor key performance indicators of two dozen public sector banks (PSBs).
It was announced by Union Finance Minister Arun Jailtley as part of a seven-pronged revamp plan for PSBs dubbed as Indradhanush (rainbow) plan.
Facts about Bank Board Bureau
- Bank Board Bureau (BBB) will start the functioning from next financial year i.e. from 1st April 2016 and the selection of its member will start in the next six months.
- It will replace existing system Appointments Board in which appointments for top level jobs at PSBs are made by an appointments committee led by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor.
- Composition: The BBB will be a body of ’eminent’ professionals and shall consist of only one government official. It will be six members body with at least 3 former bankers, 2 professionals and secretary, department of financial services representing government.
- Functions: Give recommendations for appointment of full-time Directors as well as non-Executive Chairman of PSBs.
- Give advice to PSBs in developing differentiated strategies for raising funds through innovative financial methods and instruments and to deal with issues of stressed assets.
- Guide banks on mergers and consolidations.