Union Government launches Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao campaign
Union Government has launched ambitious Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao(BBBP) campaign to save and empower girl child.
The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Panipat in Haryana.
Why Haryana was chosen to launch Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao campaign?
- Haryana was chosen to launch the nation-wide Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao initiative because of the skewed sex ratio in the state.
- It has one of the lowest Child Sex Ratio in country which stands at 879 girls per 1,000 boys as against the national child sex ratio of 918 girls per 1000 boys.
Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao (BBBP)campaign
- It aims to spread awareness about the declining trend of Child Sex Ratio in the country.
- Objective: To prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with stringent punishment to violators.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme. While, Centre has provided initial corpus of 100 crore rupees for it.
- It will be implemented in 100 districts of the country, including 12 districts of Haryana.
- In this regard, union government will try to ensure access and availability of essential requirements related to nutrition, health-care, education, protection and elimination of discrimination of girl child.
- This scheme will also generate awareness and improve the efficiency of delivery of welfare services meant for women.
Categories: Government Schemes & Projects