Union Government launches GIAN Scheme to boost higher education
Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has launched Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme to boost the quality of higher education in India.
It was launched by Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) campus.
About Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) Scheme
- GIAN Scheme aims at improving the quality of higher education in the country through international collaboration.
- Facilitate participation of high quality international academicians for delivering short-term courses and programs in Indian institutions.
- Initially 500 international faculties will be engaged in conducting courses and later in subsequent years 1000 faculties would be engaged under GIAN throughout India.
- Under this scheme, academicians will cover 13 disciplines and 352 courses to be taught in 68 national institutions.
- These courses will vary in duration from one to three weeks depending on the subject and will be free for students of the host institution and available for nominal fees for others.
- These courses will be webcasted live for students across the country through web portal www.gian.iitkgp.ac.in designed by IIT Kharagpur.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2017