Union Government launches India’s first pilot programme to run two wheelers on CNG in New Delhi
Union Government has launched a pilot programme to run two wheelers on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in New Delhi to curb air pollution in cities.
The project was jointly launched by Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar at the CGO Complex CNG station.
- The first-of-its-kind pilot programme in India to run two-wheelers on CNG has been launched by Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL).
- It is being implemented by IGL under its “Hawa Badlo” movement along with GAIL (Gas Authority of India Limited).
- Under this project, different models of two-wheelers fitted with the CNG kits have been unveiled to curb rising air pollution in cities.
- These CNG two-wheelers are substantially economical as compared to similar variant of petrol vehicles.
- They emit 75% less hydrocarbon and 20% less CO (Carbon monoxide), compared to their petrol variants.
Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL): It is a joint venture of GAIL, BPCL and government of Delhi. It is the sole supplier of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and Piped Natural Gas (PNG) in the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, Noida, Greater Noida and Ghaziabad.