Union Government launches ISBN portal
The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has launched the International Standard Book Number (ISBN) portal in New Delhi.
It was launched by Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani as part of Union Government’s ambitious Digital India campaign.
- The ISBN portal seeks to facilitate publishers and authors to register for allotment ISBN online.
- It aims to automate completely the process of seeking application, their examination and allotment of ISBNs.
- The portal has developed software has several modules such as users’ registration, online application submission, ISBN generation.
- It also includes ISBN generation request from the National Agency to the International Agency at UK.
- The automation process will lead to maintain inventory as well as process the data that will be provided by the users.
- It will help to move away from traditional process of registration and allotment of ISBN.
What is International Standard Book Number (ISBN)?
- The ISBN is a 13-digit unique International Publisher’s Identifier number, which is meant for identifying monograph publications. The ISBN Nos. are allotted free of cost.
- It is displayed in barcode format to provide access to bibliographic data bases used by the book industry and libraries to provide information.
- In India, Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Agency for ISBN is responsible for ISBN registration and is affiliated to UK based International Agency.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018