Union Government launches School Nursery Yojana
Union Government has launched the School Nursery Yojana in a bid to bring school students closer to nature by involving them in raising of saplings in school nurseries.
The scheme was launched by Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar in New Delhi.
About School Nursery Yojana
- Objective: To create an everlasting bond between the young school students and plants, trees. It also seeks to provide an opportunity to the students to learn about nature.
- It will develop an organic linkage and positive emotions for the environment among the school students and in turn keep the schools and the neighbourhood green.
- Activities: Schools will distribute saplings to students to plant in their homes and surroundings through School Nursery.
- The school nursery will be in small space of a minimum of 100 sq meters in premises of school which will provide essential facilities for raising saplings.
- In this nursery students will prepare beds for raising saplings and use it for other nursery-related activities such as preparing mixture of soil, good earth and manure and storage of seeds.
- Other activities: The schools also take up other activities like composting, rain water harvesting and water recycling.
Thus, the scheme will seek to inculcate best environmental awareness practices in young minds.