Union Government launches Seekho Aur Kamao (Learn and Earn) Progrmme
Union Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India launched Seekho Aur Kamao (Learn and While) Scheme for Skill Development of Minorities.
What are the key objectives of the scheme Learn and Earn?
The main objectives of this scheme are:
- Reduce the unemployment rate of minorities during 12th Plan period (2012-17).
- Conserve and update traditional skills of minorities and establish their linkages with the market.
- Improve employability of existing workers, school dropouts etc. and ensure their placement.
- Generate means of better livelihood for marginalized minorities and bring them in the mainstream.
- Facilitate minorities to avail opportunities in the growing market.
- Develop potential human resource for the nation.
What will be the areas of focus under Learn and Earn scheme?
The focus areas of this scheme are:
- Placement oriented training programme for modern trades.
- Skills Training Programme for Traditional Trades.
- Training programme will also include soft skills training, basic Information and Technology (I.T) and English training.
- Project implementing agencies to ensure 75% employment and out of that 50% in organized sector.
- Mechanism for placement and post placement support.
- 100% assistance by Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India.
Who will be benefitted from ‘Learn and Earn’ scheme?
The scheme will be implemented for the benefit of the 5 notified minority communities under National Commission for Minorities Act 1992(Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Parsis). However, in the States/UTs where some other minority communities notified by respective State/UT Governments exist, they may also be considered for the programme but they will not occupy more than 5% of the total seats.