Union Government launches Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
Union Government has launched Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan (Accessible India Campaign), a nationwide campaign in a bid to achieve universal accessibility to persons with disabilities.
It was launched by Union Minister of Finance Arun Jaitley and Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot on the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities (3 December).
About Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
- Aims to enable persons with disabilities to gain universal access, equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in an inclusive society in all aspects of life.
- The campaign has been drafted by Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) to which India is a signatory.
- Target set by the campaign: Envisages making all railway stations of A1, A & B categories and the international airports in the country fully accessible to the disabled by July 2016.
- Seeks to convert at least 10% of government owned public transport carriers in the country fully accessible carriers for disabled persons by March 2018.
- Meet at least 50% for issuing all public documents by the Central and State Governments to meet accessibility standards for persons with disabilities by March 2018.
Categories: Government Schemes & Projects