Union Government gives nod to India’s first Metrino Pod Taxi project
The Union Government has approved country’s first Metrino Pod project i.e. personal rapid transit (PRT) network for Gurgaon, Haryana.
It was announced by Haryana Public Works (Building and Roads) Minister, Rao Narbir Singh. It will be completely private project and as for financing, the entire investment will be made by the private company that sets up the PRT.
- The pilot project will span a 13 km stretch from the Gurgaon-Delhi border to Badshapur Mod on Sohna Road.
- The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) has submitted the feasibility report for this project.
- The private company implementing project will recover its investment in 25 years through tickets. The fare of Metrino Pod taxi would be similar to that of Metro.
What is Personal rapid transit (PRT) network?
- A PRT network is made up of small automated vehicles (dubbed as pod) running at close intervals on a guideway with docking stations for passengers to get on and get off.
- The pod can accommodate up to five people. The average speed of the pods is 60kmph
- Passengers have an option to hire an entire pod that will take a passenger straight to the destination, skipping the scheduled stops.