Union Government notifies Aadhaar Act, 2016
The Union Government has notified the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services) Act, 2016.
The Act will provide statutory backing for transfer of subsidies and benefits to eligible people having Aadhaar (UID) number.
- Aadhaar Act seeks to provide efficient, transparent and targeted delivery of subsidies, benefits and services to individuals residing in India by assigning them unique identity numbers (UID) or Aadhaar number.
- It will be used for all benefit that will be linked to consolidated fund of India or the expenditure incurred from it.
- Both central and state government can use Aadhaar for disbursal for benefits and subsidies. However the Aadhaar number cannot be used as a proof of citizenship or domicile.
- The Act gives statutory for establishment of the Unique Identification Authority of India consisting of a Chairperson (part time or full time) and two Members (part time).
- Those individuals not having Aadhaar number shall be offered alternate and viable means of identification for delivery of the subsidies, benefits or service.
Categories: Bills and Acts in Current Affairs 2017