Union Government notifies mid-day meal rules under National Food Security Act, 2013
Union Government has notified Mid-Day Meal (MDM) Rules, 2015 under the Food Security Act, 2013.
The new rules have been finalised by Union Government after consultation with the States and other related Ministries of Union Government.
New Rules are
- Temporary utilization of other funds available with the school for MDM in case school exhausts funds meant for meal for any reason.
- Food security allowance will be paid to beneficiaries under the temporary fund utilization in case of non-supply of meal for specified reasons.
- To check meal quality provided in the rules, it will be tested on randomly on monthly basis by accredited Labs.
- If meals are not provided on 3 consecutive school days or five days in a month state government will fix responsibility on the person or agency to check it.
- Every child between the age group of 6 to 14 years old studying in classes from I to VIII standard will be provided hot cooked meal having nutritional standards.
- It is mandatory for schools shall have the facility for cooking meal in hygienic manner. Schools located in urban areas may use the facility of centralised kitchens.