Union Government allows Online Authentication using Aadhaar for new mobile connections
The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
In this regard Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
- The e-KYC seeks to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
- Customer through their Aadhaar number and biometrics will online authorise UIDAI to provide demographic details.
- The details will include name, address, date of birth and gender, along with the digitally-signed photograph, to the mobile operator.
- The e-KYC seeks to bring down the cost of subscriber acquisition significantly as telecom companies will not have to spend on physical transportation of forms, verification, scanning and storage.
- Besides it will be an instant, secure and green mobile subscriber verification project, where a customer’s Aadhar card and fingerprints are adequate for both validating and activating prepaid and postpaid connections.
Categories: India Current Affairs [Gov. & Politics]