Union Government makes panic button, GPS compulsory in all mobiles
The Union Government has made mandatory for mobile manufacturers to add in-built panic button and global positioning system (GPS) in all phones from January 1, 2017 and 2018 respectively.
In this regard, Department of Telecommunications has notified the Panic Button and Global Positioning System in Mobile Phone Handsets Rules, 2016 under section 10 of the Indian Wireless Telegraph Act, 1933.
Under these rules
- Initially from January 1, 2017 all phones will have the facility of panic button that lets users instantly alert the emergency services.
- Smart phones will this feature configured to three times short pressing of the on-off button. In case of a feature phone, a long press on either the 5 or 9 button will make panic call.
- Later from 1 January 2018 all mobile phones must have the facility of identifying the location through satellite based GPS.
- To ensure that the power button dials the emergency helpline in smartphones, manufacturers will need incorporate this feature at the software end.
- In this regard, manufactures must make software patches available for direct download in the smart phones for installation.