Union Government recognizes Yoga as Sports discipline
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has decided to recognize Yoga as a sports discipline and place it in the Priority category.
This decision was taken by Ministry while reviewing and revising the categorization of various Sports disciplines.
- The sport of Fencing was upgraded from Others to General category based on the major past performance at international events.
- University Sports have been placed in the Priority category.
- The scale of financial assistance admissible to each category was conveyed to IOC and all recognized National Sports Federations on 23rd March, 2015.
- General category of sports disciplines shall be retained. This category will have sports disciplines which have been included in mega events like Olympics/Asian Games/Common Wealth Games (CWG) etc.
- General category sports will also include sports hich have obtained a ranking upto 8th in individual events and upto 10th in team events in Olympics/CWG/Asian Games.