Union Government reconstitutes Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
Union Government has reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). In this regard, government has appointed 1 chairperson and 9 board members.
- Chairperson: Filmmaker Pahlaj Nihalani was appointed chairperson. He will be office in for a period of three years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- 9 Members are: BJP leader Vani Tripathi Tikoo, filmmakers Ashoke Pandit and Chandra Prakash Dwivedi, film writer Mihir Bhuta, Syed Abdul Bari, Ramesh Patange, actor George Baker, actor-filmmaker Jeevitha and actor- playwright S Ve Shekhar.
- Earlier, then Chairperson of CBFC Leela Samson had resigned after Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT) cleared the controversial film Messenger of God featuring Dera Saccha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in lead role.
- As the Chairperson of Censor Board she had denied the clearance certificate to the film saying that the movie depicts Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh as a God.
- Following her resignation, 9 board members also had resigned creating vacancies in the booard.
Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
It is a statutory body under the aegis of Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
The Board, consists of non-official members and a Chairman (all of them are appointed by Union Government)
Its function is to regulate the public exhibition of films in India under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act 1952 by granting them certificate under 4 categories. They are
- U: Unrestricted Public Exhibition.
- UA: Unrestricted Public Exhibition- but with a word of caution that Parental discretion required for children below 12 years.
- A: Restricted to adults.
- S: Restricted to any special class of persons.
Categories: India Current Affairs 2018